Federal Reserve Confirms Hackers Breached Its System – Government Stops Short of Crediting Hacker Group Anonymous

Written by: admin Date of published: . Posted in test

The Federal Reserve has confirmed its system was breached over the weekend, following a claim from hacking group Anonymous it had filched the details of 4,000 U.S. banking executives.

While the government has not confirmed the hacking incident was the same as that claimed by Anonymous, officials have said critical functions of the bank were not affected although some personal information was compromised.

“The Federal Reserve system is aware that information was obtained by exploiting a temporary vulnerability in a website vendor product,” a spokeswoman told Reuters. “Exposure was fixed shortly after discovery and is no longer an issue. This incident did not affect critical operations of the Federal Reserve system.”

She added that all individuals effected by the breach have been contacted.

Reuters obtained a copy of the e-mail sent by the Fed to members of its Emergency Communication System (ECS). The message said mailing address, business phone, cellphone, business e-mail, and fax numbers had been published.

“Some registrants also included optional information consisting of home phone and personal e-mail. Despite claims to the contrary, passwords were not compromised,” the Fed said.

While the government declined to say which of its websites was hacked, the Reuters report indicates the site was probably an internal contact database for banks to use during natural disasters.

Anonymous said it posted the data on the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center website as part of its new Operation Last Resort campaign. The data has since been removed.

The group said the hack was revenge for the government’s treatment of Internet activist Aaron Swartz who committed suicide Jan. 11, just weeks before his trial was to begin after being indicted on wire fraud, computer fraud, unlawfully obtaining information from a protected computer, recklessly damaging a protected computer, aiding and abetting and criminal forfeiture. Swartz faced up to $1 million in fines and 35 years in prison for his alleged connection to someone illegally accessing subscription-only service JSTOR via the computer network at MIT and downloading 4.8 million articles to distribute freely.

The group has also made demands for the reform of U.S. computer crime laws in the wake of Swartz’s suicide.

The following post appeared on the OpLastResort’s Twitter feed Fed. 3:

 “Now we have your attention America: Anonymous’s Superbowl Commercial 4k banker d0x via the FED http://acjic.alabama.gov/documents/oops-we-did-it-again.html … #opLastResort #Anonymous.”

 

Post from: SiteProNews: Webmaster News & Resources

Federal Reserve Confirms Hackers Breached Its System

Twitter Slaps Age Restriction on Video-Sharing Service Vine – Move Comes After Rampant Porn Problem

Written by: admin Date of published: . Posted in test

Vine, Twitter’s new six-second video-sharing app, is now off limits for anyone under the age of 17.

Until this week, the app was described as suitable for children 12 and older.

Vine users are now greeted by the following message:

‘Vine — Make a scene contains age-restricted material. Tap OK to confirm that you are 17 or over. Your content will then begin downloading immediately.’

The move, which was first spotted by The Verge, is a bid by Twitter to keep children from being exposed to explicit content that sneaks through the service’s new safeguards. The message, however, appears to be more window dressing than anything else — there is nothing to prevent un-supervised children from simply clicking through the warning.

Vine became inundated with amateur pornographic clips and other suggestive videos inappropriate for young viewers within hours of Twitter launching the service last month.

Twitter responded by slapping a warning message on explicit videos, but the clips could still be viewed by anyone, despite his or her age, simply by clicking through the message.

After “human error” resulted in a sex clip being featured on its homepage Jan. 28 as an ‘Editor’s Pick,’ however, the social network received a raft of complaints and many users threatened to stop using the app.

Twitter has since banned searches for adult content — outlawing searches for ‘#sex,’ ‘#porn’ and other suggestive hashtags — and has also been deleting users who have posted porn or other explicit content.

One of the first casualties of the crackdown was user NSFWVine, the creator of the pornographic clip that appeared on the homepage.

Vine is still available for free from the App Store, although Apple removed it from its featured section. Apple has also changed its age rating of Vine from 12 to 17. It now labels Vine as suitable only for those 17 or older due to infrequent/mild sexual content or nudity and infrequent/mild mature/suggestive themes.

Vine’s update follows in the steps of those made by Tumblr and 500px due to possible adult content. In fact, Apple yanked 500px, a popular photo site, from its store after receiving complaints of pornographic images and possible child pornography.

500px has made changes to its app in a bid to keep offensive content from being posted and has resubmitted the updated version to the App store.

Vine was acquired by Twitter before its official launch for an undisclosed sum. The app is available on iPhone and iPod touch, and eventually will roll out on other platforms.

Vine is also available for use by those without Twitter accounts.

 

 

Post from: SiteProNews: Webmaster News & Resources

Twitter Slaps Age Restriction on Video-Sharing Service Vine